Thanks to a successful campaign spearheaded by Saint Joseph's Parent Organization, we were able to build a state-of-the-art KOMPAN playground on our already beautiful campus! While the main fundraising goal has been accomplished, there are still yearly upkeep expenses that must be provided for, such as mulch, sod, maintenance, and inspections. We would also like to add benches and a shade structure in the future. Therefore, your gift can still make a difference!
Now more than ever, children spend more time sitting in class, in the car, and on indoor activities. By adding a playground to our campus, students have been able to reap the benefits of improved health, learning through unstructured play and expending excess energy to allow better focus in the classroom.
Why are play and free time important for kids?
Health: More play means healthier children. Outdoor, physical play fosters many health benefits, such as:
- Promoting overall good health.
- Developing a sense of awareness.
- Increasing the ability to empathize and use intellect.
- Physical and mental health are intrinsically intertwined.
- Playing is important to the development of a healthy brain.
- Increasing vestibular awareness, which is key for confidence, safety, and enhances all of our senses.
- Developing a strong core is essential for good posture, strong center muscles, and is the foundation for most activities.
Learning: Behind all the fun lies learning. Children learn from unstructured play by:
- Actively and constructively dealing with real-life experiences.
- Learning how to work collaboratively, to share, to negotiate, to resolve conflicts, and learn self-advocacy skills.
- Using their creativity and developing their imagination, dexterity, and other strengths.
- Helping children conquer their fears and build confidence.
- Encouraging children to interact with the world around them in team building activities and peer interactions, which are important components of social-emotional learning.
Classroom Trends: Children need to move in order to sit still. Playtime reverses current negative trends by:
- Allowing children to release energy so they can sit still and pay attention in class.
- Aiding in self-control by reducing the difficulty children have regulating their activity levels and emotions.
- Working on physical strength, coordination, and skills to combat the rise in sensory and motor deficits seen by Physical and Occupational therapists.
Sources: Psychology Today, The Atlantic, and The American Academy of Pediatrics
KOMPAN is the worlds No. 1 playground supplier. They develop, produce, and market an extensive range of playground equipment that covers all age groups. Their playgrounds are designed from the ground up to improve childhood health and learning. And all products offer compelling design, high play value, uncompromising safety, unique innovation, and long-lasting quality.